Pennsic Attitude
Dec. 14th, 2009 05:58 pmThursday, August 6, 2009, 12:40 PM Fencing Talk
Pennsic was short but fun for me this year. I didn't do as well as I had hoped to but I didn't horribly disgrace myself either (no wins but I did go pretty deep into each list *sigh*shrug*).
Moving on.
I'll try to get a nice full post on recapping pennsic but I just want to quickly touch on one thing.
Attitude.
Attitude is everything. I had a fight the other day with a particular Cadet from Ansteorra who I was fighting; when I offered a suggestion on a manner in which she could close the opening I had been exploiting in her guard of case. She responded rather excitedly that "Oh I think I know what I'm doing, if I needed advice I'd have asked for it."
...
So I hit her in the mask on the next three passes. After that she rather, rather nicely too, if I could offer any ideas for improvement.
not a bad person, she just had a bad attitude
If this was a matter of "ego" she would not have been able to admit to herself that maybe yes she could use a few pointers. It was attitude. She approached our simple pickup fight as if lowly me (an Atlantian White Scarf) simply had nothing to offer her in the way of instruction. ... *sigh* Mels Rules of Fencing (see link to left)
#1 There is always something you can learn, from anybody.
Do not expect defeat, do no anticipate failure, and do not for one minute think that you are unbeatable. We are all constantly learning and to think that you are beyond that is to set yourself up for a world of disappointment. I have been taken to school by the newest of newbs, and I have executed with precision the best of the best. That is the way of life. Learn from both and move on.
I was knocked out of two consecutive tourneys by the same guy this Pennsic. Because I suck? No. I can hold my own just fine. Because I did something wrong? Maybe. Hind sight 20/20 and all that but in the end on those days on those lists, he was better, and having experienced those fights which he executed with such deft prowess I would like to think I am a little better too.
Come into the game with the right attitude and you won't need it adjusted.
So to sum up, relax. You took up this activity for fun. If that fun is found in winning 500 Tourneys, or if it is found in executing 1 single *perfect* lunge. Remember that attitude is everything.
Pennsic was short but fun for me this year. I didn't do as well as I had hoped to but I didn't horribly disgrace myself either (no wins but I did go pretty deep into each list *sigh*shrug*).
Moving on.
I'll try to get a nice full post on recapping pennsic but I just want to quickly touch on one thing.
Attitude.
Attitude is everything. I had a fight the other day with a particular Cadet from Ansteorra who I was fighting; when I offered a suggestion on a manner in which she could close the opening I had been exploiting in her guard of case. She responded rather excitedly that "Oh I think I know what I'm doing, if I needed advice I'd have asked for it."
...
So I hit her in the mask on the next three passes. After that she rather, rather nicely too, if I could offer any ideas for improvement.
not a bad person, she just had a bad attitude
If this was a matter of "ego" she would not have been able to admit to herself that maybe yes she could use a few pointers. It was attitude. She approached our simple pickup fight as if lowly me (an Atlantian White Scarf) simply had nothing to offer her in the way of instruction. ... *sigh* Mels Rules of Fencing (see link to left)
#1 There is always something you can learn, from anybody.
Do not expect defeat, do no anticipate failure, and do not for one minute think that you are unbeatable. We are all constantly learning and to think that you are beyond that is to set yourself up for a world of disappointment. I have been taken to school by the newest of newbs, and I have executed with precision the best of the best. That is the way of life. Learn from both and move on.
I was knocked out of two consecutive tourneys by the same guy this Pennsic. Because I suck? No. I can hold my own just fine. Because I did something wrong? Maybe. Hind sight 20/20 and all that but in the end on those days on those lists, he was better, and having experienced those fights which he executed with such deft prowess I would like to think I am a little better too.
Come into the game with the right attitude and you won't need it adjusted.
So to sum up, relax. You took up this activity for fun. If that fun is found in winning 500 Tourneys, or if it is found in executing 1 single *perfect* lunge. Remember that attitude is everything.